So Sunday I was getting along ok then started a fever into the evening. Monday morning I had some diluted baby apple juice, as you do, and I found myself in great pain for about ten minutes, not being able to move. So I tried again two hours later and had the same result. So when the liquid hit my pouch it felt like a hot poker. I started packing my hospital bag. Praise God Jodi was over visiting at the time.
I was thinking the pain could be partly constipation so I tried another popsicle with sorbitol. (sorbitol helps me out that way) Well, that popsicle hit my tummy like a fire ball! I couldn't move, couldn't breathe. If Jodi wasn't there I don't think I could have dialed 911 by myself.
So the emt's thought I had gas pain (when having laparoscopic surgery they fill the abdomen with co2) with a panic attack. I thought I was dying. It took every bit of will to keep breathing.
Once at Northside they ordered a cat scan which may or may not have shown some tiny air pockets in the suture line. I guess now I see my surgeon was just baffled by the whole deal. So they put me on iv fluid & iv antibiotics. And IV Dilaudid (Hydromorphone). No sips of water, no ice chips, and no clue what is wrong. Ughhh!
Monday night I had a temp over 102 so they made me take tylenol suppositories. Somehow it came right my system to my tummy and was screaming in agony. I'm sure my neighbors were thrilled.
So Tuesday was a wee bit better. They increased the pain meds and let me have ice chips. Did some walking around the 4th floor. When my fever spiked last night I told them no tylenol! So they gave me a few tricks to reduce me temp such as ice packs on my neck, walking and using an incentive spirometer. The incentive spirometer measures how much I blow out. It helps me stretch out my lungs. I kicked that fever's butt back down to 98 degrees.
So now it is Wednesday. The surgeon stopped by this morning, He wants to do another ct scan. He wants to keep me until I can drink and tolerate pain better. Super tired today. Not much rest last night! Going to try for a nap. Nope – here comes the ct scan.

Wow-just wow.. That is awesome you kicked that fever all by yourself last night. I pray it stays away and this time maybe they will get an idea of what is causing all the pain with the CT scan. Please post as you get updates.. Love u!
ReplyDeleteHey Girl...so glad I could be there for you! Know that I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, even though you SCARED THE CRAP out of me! I still love you to pieces! Feel better so you can come home and play bananagrams with me! Please let me know if you change your mind and want visitors. I love you soul sista...to the moon and back!
ReplyDeleteWOW! That would have been horrible. So sorry you had to go through that. Way to go on the fever! And at least the 4th floor nursing staff is great... not that you wouldn't rather be home. Thinking of and praying for you!
ReplyDelete